Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

AccueilAccueil  PortailPortail  RechercherRechercher  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  ConnexionConnexion  
-34%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
-34% LG OLED55B3 – TV OLED 4K 55″ 2023 – 100Hz HDR 10+, ...
919 € 1399 €
Voir le deal

[Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!

3 participants
AuteurMessage
Stormwalker
Soldat
Stormwalker

Clan(s) : ( Aucun )

[Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! Empty
MessageSujet: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptySam 30 Juil 2016, 23:02

Hello, I am now working on a new Heretic map titled "Templum Dormiens Dei", which translates to "Temple of the Sleeping God".  This map requires ZDoom 2.8.1 or later in order to run, and features new monsters.  Storywise, the map is a direct sequel to Dark Deity's Bastion.  At this point the map is complete and ready for testing!

EDIT: The map is now finished and is available on idgames.

Credits: Apothem, Enjay, and Ozymandias81 for the Health Point Bar. All music by Kevin Schilder. Eriance, Ghastly_dragon, Blue Shadow, Captain Toenail, Hexx, Rolls, Gothic, and MagicWazard for the new DECORATE monsters.

[Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! URNbAQN

[Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! DLabLXu

[Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! 5fxPNtB

[Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! 2VBCecp

[Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! Jj2SDDx

Dernière édition par Stormwalker le Dim 05 Fév 2017, 22:29, édité 10 fois
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
franckFRAG
Modérateur du chaos
franckFRAG

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyDim 31 Juil 2016, 02:38

Wow! These screenshots are very nice! Especially the first screen with the building Smile I know that DeathevokatioN works too on a Heretic wad Smile
http://doomstaze.free.fr
Stormwalker
Soldat
Stormwalker

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyDim 31 Juil 2016, 17:58

franckFRAG a écrit:
Wow! These screenshots are very nice! Especially the first screen with the building Smile I know that DeathevokatioN works too on a Heretic wad Smile

Thanks franckFRAG! In regards to DeathevokatioN's project, I assume that you are referring to [b]Ending Quest[\b]? I also contributed one map to this project as well, titled "Sorcerers' Enclave". Hopefully that levelset will be released soon, because I know DeathevokatioN, Egregor, and others worked very hard on it and their maps are all fantastic in my opinion.
[WH]-Wilou84
Rêveur perpétuel
[WH]-Wilou84

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyLun 01 Aoû 2016, 21:56

Yay Heretic !
Pretty cool screenies here, I dig the openness of shots 1, 3 and 5 in particular.

If you decide to go the ZDoom way, does it mean you'd like to include new monsters ?

As for The Ending Quest, yep, DeathevokatioN actually posted a thread about it Smile

George Orwell
https://dsdarchive.com/players/william_huber
Stormwalker
Soldat
Stormwalker

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyDim 07 Aoû 2016, 07:37

[WH]-Wilou84 a écrit:
Yay Heretic !
Pretty cool screenies here, I dig the openness of shots 1, 3 and 5 in particular.

If you decide to go the ZDoom way, does it mean you'd like to include new monsters ?

Thank you Wilou! You are correct in your guess that I am considering the inclusion of new monsters. I did it a few times before in some older wads of mine, and since Heretic is notorious for its rather small bestiary, I thought it could be cool to add a creature or two. But I haven't made up my mind yet.
[WH]-Wilou84
Rêveur perpétuel
[WH]-Wilou84

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyDim 07 Aoû 2016, 09:56

I think Heretic's enemy cast is a bit lackluster when it comes to high-tier threats. Iron Liches are more frail than I remembered them to be, and Maulotaurs are utterly pathetic when compared to their Doom counterparts.
Some new blood would be cool indeed Smile

Good luck for your project !

George Orwell
Stormwalker
Soldat
Stormwalker

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyLun 08 Aoû 2016, 06:04

My mapping is very slow these days because of my job and other pursuits, but I hope to be done with this map by early next year.  Here are a few more screenshots.

[Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! DrYcDAt

[Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! Trhpedw

[Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! KLQnDkn
Stormwalker
Soldat
Stormwalker

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyVen 14 Oct 2016, 00:52

Hello again!  The initial mapping for Templum Dormiens Dei is complete, and now the level is ready to be playtested.  I would be grateful if any Heretic fans would take the time to play through this level and give their honest and unbiased feedback.  Do not hold back your criticism Smile

Story:
Spoiler:

This level requires ZDoom 2.8.1 or later in order to be played(and yes, there is a new boss for you to kill!).  I have fully implemented difficulty settings.  Enjoy!

Credits: Apothem, Enjay, and Ozymandias81 for the Health Point Bar. All music by Kevin Schilder. Eriance, Ghastly_dragon, Blue Shadow, Captain Toenail, Hexx, Rolls, Gothic, and MagicWazard for the new DECORATE monsters.

Dernière édition par Stormwalker le Dim 23 Oct 2016, 23:30, édité 4 fois
[WH]-Wilou84
Rêveur perpétuel
[WH]-Wilou84

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptySam 15 Oct 2016, 21:25

Yay !

Got a DECORATE error with my old ZDoom 2.7.1. :

ZDoom a écrit:
Execution could not continue.

Script error, "templmdd.wad:DECORATE" line 5:
SpawnID must be in the range [0,255]

Tried it with ZDoom 2.9.0 and it works just fine though !

Quite an impressive map, with many memorable moments. The grandscale view when you reach the giant courtyard after raising the first set of metal bars is breathtaking Cool

Dispatching the Weredragons in the open with the respawning pods is fun, and the Phoenix Rod sequence with the crushers and the pods is a cool sequence that I think I hadn't seen in Heretic before - really scary stuff Smile
A bit too harsh maybe... It's really easy to get blocked by a pod and then it's an inevitable death ( the crusher + explosion is instakill ). It's probably exactly what you wanted though.

There's a misaligned texture here - and that's the only one I noticed, haha. I could feel you put a lot of care in the map's visuals.

The fight for the YK is cool. I like the lighting in this whole area, it helps a lot in creating a dark, eerie mood.

For some reason the golems here never used their ranged attack, and I could just dispatch them from the "bridge" while they stood here doing nothing. The Nitrogolem variants could be used here instead.

That secret with a Morph Ovum here that can be reached either by activating a secret switch in a corridor after the Green door or by jumping from that high place even before you get the Green Key is a neat shortcut. Too bad almost nobody records speedruns on Heretic maps Surprised

The second sequence with the pods and crushers is much more manageable, haha Smile
I didn't get the point of the single Sabreclaw that warped after I pressed the switch though. Maybe he and some of his brethren could appear on the other side of the trap instead ?

On to the boss... Smile
Sadly its health bar appears even before the player has jumped down in the battle area and activates the switch, giving away the surprise. You should definitely delay it a bit further.
The boss itself is great. Its sprites are awesome ( I've always admired Eriance's work ), and its gameplay is pretty exciting with all the different curses. The boss' attacks didn't feel OP to me, it is supposed to be a dark god after all :>
It's hard but fair. Also it's cool that all the ammo is still available during the fight, as the player will need to restock a lot - which is very dangerous while under pressure from the boss.
The music for this fight is lacking a bit though... I don't know, surely you wanted to have a moody battle but this midi didn't do it for me.

Anyway, overall it's probably one of the best Heretic maps I've ever played. The reliance on ( mainly ) stock resources is nice, the layout is cool and cleverly interconnected, there are many secrets ( I only found 4 out of 8 ), the static lighting work is top notch, and the boss fight is well-made.
Great work once again Stormwalker, and thanks for sharing your map with us !! Wink

@ Manhs : Toi qui es un grand fan d'Heretic, il faut absolument que tu jettes un oeil à cette map !

George Orwell
Stormwalker
Soldat
Stormwalker

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyDim 16 Oct 2016, 01:38

Wow, thank you Wilou84!!! Once again you prove to be my best playtester!

[WH]-Wilou84 a écrit:
Got a DECORATE error with my old ZDoom 2.7.1. :

ZDoom a écrit:
Execution could not continue.

Script error, "templmdd.wad:DECORATE" line 5:
SpawnID must be in the range [0,255]

Tried it with ZDoom 2.9.0 and it works just fine though !

Thank you for pointing this out. I should have mentioned that this map requires ZDoom 2.8.1 or later due to DECORATE specifications. I will amend the post to include that requirement.

[WH]-Wilou84 a écrit:
Dispatching the Weredragons in the open with the respawning pods is fun, and the Phoenix Rod sequence with the crushers and the pods is a cool sequence that I think I hadn't seen in Heretic before - really scary stuff Smile
A bit too harsh maybe... It's really easy to get blocked by a pod and then it's an inevitable death ( the crusher + explosion is instakill ). It's probably exactly what you wanted though.

That is a rather harsh little room. I meant for it to be a way to give the player early access to a high-tier weapon but at a steep price. The best way to approach it is to run under a crusher as it raises and then into the little alcove where the torch is. Corvus can stand there unharmed as the crusher comes back down. Then just run under the next crusher and repeat until you get to the Phoenix Rod.

[WH]-Wilou84 a écrit:
There's a misaligned texture here - and that's the only one I noticed, haha.

Ah, I never noticed that one. Good eye!

[WH]-Wilou84 a écrit:
For some reason the golems here never used their ranged attack, and I could just dispatch them from the "bridge" while they stood here doing nothing. The Nitrogolem variants could be used here instead.

Great point, I will fix that in the next release.

[WH]-Wilou84 a écrit:
That secret with a Morph Ovum here that can be reached either by activating a secret switch in a corridor after the Green door or by jumping from that high place even before you get the Green Key is a neat shortcut. Too bad almost nobody records speedruns on Heretic maps Surprised

Interesting that you were able to get onto that wooden outcropping by running and jumping! It almost makes me think I should put up a fence to prevent the player from doing what you did, which as you said allows him to skip some of the level. Or maybe I should leave it in as an easter egg for gifted players. I'll have to think about that.

[WH]-Wilou84 a écrit:
The second sequence with the pods and crushers is much more manageable, haha Smile
I didn't get the point of the single Sabreclaw that warped after I pressed the switch though. Maybe he and some of his brethren could appear on the other side of the trap instead ?

It should have been two sabreclaws that warp in, but I guess one got stuck. Still, I see your point. I originally had many enemies warp into that room, but they basically died immediately from crushers, and thus became useless. So I made them warp in at various points along the route that Corvus has to use to backtrack to the Green Key. Perhaps I could invest more time and make this segment better.

[WH]-Wilou84 a écrit:
On to the boss... Smile
Sadly its health bar appears even before the player has jumped down in the battle area and activates the switch, giving away the surprise. You should definitely delay it a bit further.

That's a good idea! I will be able to do that easily in ACS. I never even considered the surprise element, but now that you mention it, it makes total sense.

[WH]-Wilou84 a écrit:
The music for this fight is lacking a bit though... I don't know, surely you wanted to have a moody battle but this midi didn't do it for me.

I agree with you about the music. That is a track that I have used twice already, and I only used it here as a placeholder until I find something more suitable. It definitely won't be in the final version. I need to stop being lazy and look for some music Smile

Again, I must thank you sincerely for playing this and providing such in-depth criticism. It is always very helpful and means a lot. Likewise, let me know if you ever need someone to playtest for you or others you work with, because I'd be happy to do so. Take care!
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyDim 16 Oct 2016, 09:53

Some stuff i noticed (tested on GZDoom btw):

1) Sector brightness
2) Texture alignement
3) Here (and in other place like that) I would add a 2 px step
4) Secret teleporter, but still odd to see one without the sparkles
5) Barelly at eye's height (in the YK zone)
6) Texture alignement
And lastly a very minor detail, the key order is YBG instead of the classical YGB

Now about gameplay:
1) Very tight room + impassable corridor + a "tower" = the malotaur is not a threat at all
2) Monsters poping out of nowhere in front of you is quite meh, I would add a teleport effect
3) The jumpable Ovum secret, it's a one way if you take the lift, i went there without the green key and was condemned to go to the boss room without any way to go back to previous zones
Stormwalker
Soldat
Stormwalker

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyDim 16 Oct 2016, 18:26

Jambon a écrit:
Some stuff i noticed (tested on GZDoom btw):

1) Sector brightness
2) Texture alignement
3) Here (and in other place like that) I would add a 2 px step
4) Secret teleporter, but still odd to see one without the sparkles
5) Barelly at eye's height (in the YK zone)
6) Texture alignement
And lastly a very minor detail, the key order is YBG instead of the classical YGB

Now about gameplay:
1) Very tight room + impassable corridor + a "tower" = the malotaur is not a threat at all
2) Monsters poping out of nowhere in front of you is quite meh, I would add a teleport effect
3) The jumpable Ovum secret, it's a one way if you take the lift, i went there without the green key and was condemned to go to the boss room without any way to go back to previous zones

Thanks for playing and providing detailed feedback Jambon! I see you have a sharp eye for errors, and these things that you've pointed out are very helpful to me. I'll be addressing these today and will try to have a Beta 2 out within a day or so.
Stormwalker
Soldat
Stormwalker

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyLun 17 Oct 2016, 00:44

Greetings,

Templum Dormiens Dei has been updated to Beta 2. Thanks to all who played and gave their thoughts, including Wilou84, Gez, Judge, Jambon, Blue Shadow, and HexenMapper.

Dernière édition par Stormwalker le Dim 23 Oct 2016, 23:32, édité 1 fois
[WH]-Wilou84
Rêveur perpétuel
[WH]-Wilou84

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyLun 17 Oct 2016, 23:13

Stormwalker a écrit:
Interesting that you were able to get onto that wooden outcropping by running and jumping!  It almost makes me think I should put up a fence to prevent the player from doing what you did, which as you said allows him to skip some of the level.  Or maybe I should leave it in as an easter egg for gifted players.  I'll have to think about that.
Well, I think this potential shortcut should stay as it is, as it only allows the agile player to skip a small portion of the map, and it adds to the overall replay value !

George Orwell
Stormwalker
Soldat
Stormwalker

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyDim 23 Oct 2016, 23:33

Hello,

Templum Dormiens Dei has been updated to Beta 3. In addition to a great deal of fixes and balance tweaks, I added some new enemy types to the level in an attempt to add some diversity to the encounters. I also added in a few pop-up messages which occur when certain things happen, which I feel better explain some sequences of the map. Finally, by popular demand I restored the player's ability to jump to the morph ovum secret, which I had removed in Beta 2. Below are some screens of some of the new content.

[Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! D5oCf6I

[Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! SSh8iF3

[Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! YSBiL7m

I am curious to know if these new monsters are a good fit for the level, so feel free to have a go at the level and let me know your thoughts. The download link for Beta 3 is here. Thanks guys.
[WH]-Wilou84
Rêveur perpétuel
[WH]-Wilou84

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyMar 01 Nov 2016, 10:05

All right, I've had a look at the new version, and I dig the new enemies. Their introduction is subtle and they fit in very well with Heretic's classic bestiary.
The black floating mages ( as seen on the second screenshot in your latest post ) have roughly the same behavior as Hexen's Dark Bishops, so these sprites could have been used instead for cohesiveness - although the current sprites are fine Smile

Speaking of your second screenshot, two of these magic purple turrets seemed to ignore me completely in that very room. Surely they were pointed towards the corridor or something.

I also liked the Hexen II-ish medusa creatures, and it's cool that they're used sparingly as their "stunning" power might have been annoying in larger fights.

All in all, great work once again Wink

George Orwell
Stormwalker
Soldat
Stormwalker

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyMer 02 Nov 2016, 00:36

[WH]-Wilou84 a écrit:
All right, I've had a look at the new version, and I dig the new enemies. Their introduction is subtle and they fit in very well with Heretic's classic bestiary.
The black floating mages ( as seen on the second screenshot in your latest post ) have roughly the same behavior as Hexen's Dark Bishops, so these sprites could have been used instead for cohesiveness - although the current sprites are fine Smile

Speaking of your second screenshot, two of these magic purple turrets seemed to ignore me completely in that very room. Surely they were pointed towards the corridor or something.

I also liked the Hexen II-ish medusa creatures, and it's cool that they're used sparingly as their "stunning" power might have been annoying in larger fights.

All in all, great work once again Wink

Thanks for taking the time to replay the level, Wilou! I appreciate your assessment of the new additions. I also like that you remembered the medusae from Hexen II. I actually just played through that game again recently and it was better than I remembered it being.
franckFRAG
Modérateur du chaos
franckFRAG

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyMer 21 Déc 2016, 09:51

Congratulation Stormwalker! Your wad is currently in /idgames Smile
http://doomstaze.free.fr
Stormwalker
Soldat
Stormwalker

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptyJeu 22 Déc 2016, 02:27

franckFRAG a écrit:
Congratulation Stormwalker! Your wad is currently in /idgames Smile

Thank you sir!
[WH]-Wilou84
Rêveur perpétuel
[WH]-Wilou84

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptySam 11 Mar 2017, 09:14

Templum Dormiens Dei has been reviewed over at Doomworld :
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doomworld-news/93248-the-newstuff-chronicles-530/

George Orwell
[WH]-Wilou84
Rêveur perpétuel
[WH]-Wilou84

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! EmptySam 02 Déc 2017, 17:59

KMX E XII a posté une review détaillée de cette map, ça fait plaisir :
https://onemandoom.blogspot.fr/2017/11/templum-dormiens-dei-templmddwad.html#more

George Orwell
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!   [Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released! Empty

[Heretic] Templum Dormiens Dei - SP map - Released!
Page 1 sur 1